Present-day kids are not overburdened with scientific concepts and fundamentals because teachings and learnings today are more practical and hands-on, rather than being bookish and only theoretical. With the right kind of learning kits online, children today can discover a lot of what is taught in the classroom on their own. Some of the concepts are yet to be taught in the class and they already know the ins and outs because they have done experiments as part of these learning kits.
Science, technology, engineering, and maths can be overwhelming and as parents, we all know that. Kids today, however, are lucky to have access to an infinite reservoir of resources that help them quench their thirst to know more, understand the why’s and the how’s behind the different natural phenomena, and so on. Science and maths, for most kids today are no longer tedious and boring because both these subjects have been made interesting and engaging with the help of kids science experiment kits, that is how a parent can now subscribe, over and above what is happening in the classroom and labs in schools.
To put this into perspective – science and technology are not about textbooks anymore. Kids as small as three years old are inquisitive and wish to know more about what is happening all around – when they question you, you should be able to offer them reasonable explanations and answers.
Also, by making them a part of kids’ science experiment kits, parents encourage them to keep their curiosity alive, explore new concepts and ideas, express them, use their ingenuity, and more.
How to choose the right kid science kit, though? There is an umpteen number of choices out there – so, which one is the right fit for your kid? Here are some factors that you should compare before enrolling your child with one of the learning kits online.
- Understand and evaluate if the learning kit includes all the four streams of STEM – science, technology, engineering, and maths.
- The instruction set should be separate from the toys and the projects. Read online reviews and research about this particular aspect in detail. There needs to be clarity in instructions; it should be age-appropriate so that the kids can understand how to proceed with the experiments on their own. They should also be able to comprehend the concept or the learning that the experiment seeks to provide.
- Ensure that the kit contains the required supplies to experiment. Some kits may come only with the learnings or the supplies which may not be complete for completing the experiment. It may also happen that supplies do not follow the required standards and there could be a compromise on the quality of the make. The supplies should be age-appropriate and kid-friendly.
- Do make sure that the company offering the learning kits online is credible and has a good reputation for its name. This requires parents to research online, ask in their parents’ community, and also speak to school teachers if required.
- Look at the duration of the subscription before comparing costs. It is natural for parents to find the prices of different science subscriptions and then compare rates. While doing so, do make sure that you check the duration of the subscription. There are usually four choices that companies offer to parents – monthly subscription, quarterly subscription, half-yearly subscription, and yearly subscription.
- Find the age group that the kids’ science experiment kits are meant for. Most of the kits are suitable from the age of three. Some offer a subscription for kids till 8 or 9, and some offer even for middle school kids.